Contain no chemicals such as chlorine, perfumes or polyacrylate (a chemical used for absorbency). Chlorine and other chemicals can strip away good protective bacteria on the skin and change the pH balance of your infant, which can cause dryness and skin irritations. One report found an increase in childhood asthma and respiratory problems was correlated to babies wearing disposable diapers. In more critical cases from exposure to these chemicals, your infant can develop severe skin irritations, a fever, vomiting and staph infections. Also, these chemicals have been found to be carcinogenic.You may end up with more laundry but you may find the benefits outweigh the extra work. Cloth diapers:
- Allow for more breath-ability. They are made from cotton and result in less skin irritation and rashes. Many of the cloth diaper companies are using organic cotton for their diapers. The reason for this is that farmers of non-organic cotton may spray their plants with chemicals and pesticides that can find their way into the cotton that is placed next to your infant’s skin. To avoid the skin irritation and other effects of harsh chemicals it is better to look towards the organic cotton brands.
- Lead to earlier potty training for your infant. Using a cloth diaper allows your infant to feel the wet sensation against their skin and become more aware of when they have gone potty. Disposable diapers wick away the wetness, keeping your infant unaware of a wet diaper for longer periods of time.
- Save money. The initial investment in cloth diapers is more expensive, but once you own cloth diapers you have them for life. No need to be constantly buying disposables!
- Produce less waste-this is obvious.
- Allow convenience. If the store is closed, you always have a diaper (as long as you have a washing machine close at hand).